Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Inspiring Fibers

Carol Dekle-Foss
Hello everyone! I've been playing with fibers a bit and wanted to share some of my latest creations, as well as display some fiber artists who inspire me. First, Sherri Stokey did a great post here on her beautiful macrame jewelry. I will be honest, I am terrible at small detailed work, I just don't have that kind of patience. I truly admire those who can knit and sew in intricate detail. One of my favorite bracelets from Sherri is below. I love the woven work and accent of tiny beads. So beautiful!!! 
You can visit Sherri's Etsy shop here for more to die for designs. 

I'll admit, working with fiber in jewelry has been a challenge for me. I don't dare show some of my earlier work! Seriously, I think there was a crazy lady was in my studio!!! So now, when I use fiber in my designs, I try to add different textures to balance the softness and also play with different color combinations to try and create interest. With lots of practice, I've gotten better!

 I just finished this bracelet. I used some of Marsha's gorgeous silks that you can find in her Etsy shop. The bracelet bar and tiny leaf are my latest ceramic pieces. I love how the glaze colors turned out.

A simple copper etched leaf bracelet with braided waxed linen cord and ceramic beads from Gaea.


I love this simple design. It can be either a bracelet or a necklace. Ceramic beads are made by me, and the silks are from Marsha Neal Studio.


 This is one of my older creations.  I used one of my sandblasted pendants, lampwork beads from All Fired Up Studio, some enameled charms from yours truly (my brief enameling phase), and some sari silk.

Another older necklace. The Tree of Life design was etched and then enameled. I love how the enameling created a crackling affect. I then braided some sari silk and formed a wire loop for the bail.

Now, for some more eye candy. Here are some of my favorite fiber artists, in no particular order.
 Oh my...I fell in love with Debra Dorgan's work when I first laid my eyes on the above cuff. It brings out my inner la bohรจme. Wow, look at all the intricate detail!
Her little butterfly is too cute!

 These earrings and the cuff below are from Mary of Queen of cuffs. Holy moly look at those gorgeous textures! Swoon!

 And of course, the intricate and meaningful work of Mary Jane Dodd. She inspires me to be more mindful, not only in my jewelry, but everyday life.

I will leave you with this simple design.
A dainty and delicate pendant from Manya at Humming Needles. I love how she combines silk ribbons with embroidery to create beautiful detailed flowers. Visit her Etsy shop to see more beautiful creations!

Thank you for reading!


6 comments:

Patti Vanderbloemen said...

You need to include your own work in the "eye candy" category! Gorgeous work all the way around! Love your bracelet with your own ceramic! My eye was instantly attracted to your necklace with the sandblasted and enameled focal - the bail you created from wire, and filled with a braided silk chain is just stunning - my favorite!

Anonymous said...

I went into a deep swoon over the cuff bracelets, took a side detour to visit the shops then More time swooning. Thoroughly enjoyed your post. You started out with your own gorgeous bracelet which I loved and had me hooked.

Unknown said...

So much inspiration here! Don't you just love Sherri's micro macrame? She is amazing! I think your latest bracelet is gorgeous! Your leaf and bracelet bar are beautiful and the silks and tiny dangles are a perfect combination. Obviously that crazy lady was a good teacher ;O)

stacilouise said...

WOW! WOW. wow. I just love what the fiber has added to your work! So amazing. and the eye candy- mmmmmmmmm! Thank you so much for experimenting- I really think you nailed it. I love how each of us has found a way to use fiber in a different way, a way that really accents our work, and still maintains our own style. that is the challenge, isn't it?

Cindys Art + Soul said...

All very beautiful creations! Love your new fiber work! I think it's so earthy and feminine too. Very inspiring!

Unknown said...

All gorgeous, including yours! I am so enjoying all of the posts about using fiber. I've learned so much and gained so much inspiration. Thank you all!

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...